hile I may not possess my own pair of orange matador pants, I otherwise wear my fandom for Arrested Development on my sleeve. It works its way into my everyday speech, peppers itself throughout my social media posts, and is frequently held back behind my teeth whenever I’m spending time with new people who I don’t know to be familiar with the term “Never Nude” or not. We hosted a streaming marathon party this weekend, learned we can’t sit through more than four episodes at one time, and were perplexed, entertained, and almost entirely satisfied by the Bluths’ triumphant return. Moments of delight, confusion, and general spoilers ahead!
- Portia de Rossi: D: *
- I love that Maria Bamford is in this!
- So what is the University of Phoenix’s response to all of this?
- Lucille (No. 1) needs more makeup.
- What is it with Arrested Development and Asians? **
- So with the introduction of Tommy Tune to the cast, there’s totally going to be an Arrested Development movie and it’s totally going to be an action musical, right? RIGHT?
- How many times did they have to rehearse all those secondhand smoking sequences?
- I haven’t seen an original iPhone in years!
- Light drizzle.
* I am not making light of eating disorders. In all seriousness, remembering Lindsay Then (or even Nelle then) makes Lindsay Now very difficult to watch.
** Relax, I know the Bluths’ true defense: “I’m not racist, I talk about everybody!” Actually, that’s a line from my friend Allan Frias. But really, the Asian accents in this show remain kind of horrifically beyond.
I still watch it. No self-hate.