Last week sosuperperson Sosupersam released a new mixtape beautifully titled We Found Ourselves Lost. Sam cites a Pierre Botardo collage and a, y’know, your standard emotional journey as inspiration for this easy-flowing trip through contemplative sounds.
There’s a lot of me in this, it might not make any sense. I even sing on it at one point. I made this for me as a way to clear my head and my heart, but maybe you’ll like it too.
While I’m not going to speculate on the autobiographical details of Sam’s mix, I will say it got me thinking about those songs that become autobiographical to us (in the rhetorical sense). I was discussing Gotye’s almost too beloved “Somebody That I Used to Know” with somebody that I still know. To her, it was empowering for Kimbra. To me, it evoked the same sort of feeling as Postal Service’s “Nothing Better”. I then launched into a month-long cultivation of the ultimate melancholy playlist to the aftermath of a relationship. The playlist keeps growing and then whittling back down because I add and remove songs when they don’t prove to be perfect enough. Thus far, only two tracks have held their ground.
My mind specifically lingers on two good-riddance relationships as this playlist forms:
But! Enough of this sobering talk. Click on the album art or click here to download Sam’s mix in its entirety. Full tracklist below the cut.
Sosupersam – We Found Ourselves Lost
- Intro – “Boy Meets Girl (500 Days of Summer)”
- Thundercat – “For Love I Come”
- Kilo Kish – “Navy”
- Frank Ocean – “Thinking of You”
- Wale f. Miguel – “Lotus Flower Bomb”
- Portishead – “It Could Be Sweet”
- Vindahl f. Coco – “Head Over Heels”
- Robin Thicke – “Sweetest Love”
- Cee Lo – “No One’s Gonna Love You”
- Major Lazer f. Amber from Dirty Projectors – “Get Free”
- Interlude – Aaliyah “I Don’t Wanna” + Kirko Bangz “Drank in My Cup”
- Kilo Kish – “You’re Right”
- Jhene Aiko – “Stranger”
- James Blake – “Limit to Your Love”
- Beach House – “Myth”
- Bon Iver – “I Can’t Make You Love Me”